Need a Permanent Resident Card? Can’t Find a Guarantor? Try This Solution!

One of many ways that a notary public can help you during your process of settling and becoming a citizen in Canada is to gain your permanent resident card. One of the requirements that can be difficult is find a guarantor, who basically confirms that you are who you say you are. If you are having trouble with this, contact your notary public to get a statutory declaration in lieu of guarantor instead.

What is a guarantor?

A guarantor affirms that you are who you say you are. For this reason, there are several legal requirements from the government:

  • They have to have known you personally for a minimum of 2 years
  • They have to be a Canadian citizen.
  • They have to be of a certain profession which holds greater legal responsibility (and consequences) for truthful statements (for example, a doctor, lawyer, post master.)

If you know such a person, ask them to be your guarantor. They will be usually accustomed to such requests, and, if they’ve known you for the right amount of time, they will probably not hesitate to help you.

However, often as a new Canadian, even if you’ve been here for two years, you may not have lived in the same place long enough, or it might just take time to get to know the right people. f you don’t know anyone who fits this description, the government offers another option – a statutory declaration in lieu of guarantor.

What is a statutory declaration in lieu of guarantor?

A statutory declaration is a document stamped and signed by a notary public showing that you have produced satisfactory evidence that you are who you say you are, and that you have sworn an oath saying the same, in the presence of the notary public.

You will need to provide official ID (such as a passport or a visa.) In this case, there is a form (Section G) included in the application. You can either complete the section ahead of time, or ask your notary to help you with that.

How else can a notary help you with your Permanent Resident Card?

If you are uncertain about which step you need to take next in your residency or citizenship process, you can contact your notary public to help you determine what the next step is. Your notary can also:

  • help you fill out forms
  • help you determine the correct information and documents
  • help find legal alternatives if you don’t meet certain requirements
  • point you to the most suitable professional if you require services beyond his scope

If you are in the process of residency or citizenship documentation, contact us at Golden Notary.

Related Posts